Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Holiday Goodness

I'm not a very big drinker, and I'm definitely not a RUM drinker, so when Mike asked me to make Hot Buttered Rums for our Christmas party, I figured I wouldn't even taste them. I found a recipe online and it got great reviews, so what do I do? I change it. I did try it as it was called for, but I REALLY liked how mine turned out. (You make a mix that goes in the fridge or freezer then you mix it with the alcohol later.) They were the hit of the party and then Mike asked me to make a ginormous batch for the bar and I had people who had sworn their recipe was the best ever ask for MINE. They said it was their new favorite! So, since I've taken to putting different recipes to my blog, I thought I'd add this one, too! I forgot to mention, I ALSO made this drink with vanilla vodka and that was more my style, but I don't know what you'd call that... Hot Buttered Vanilla Vodka...??? It doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

Anyway.

AMAZING HOT BUTTERED RUM

1 stick unsalted butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp molasses
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp (plus a pinch!) of ground nutmeg
pinch of ground cloves
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup vanilla ice cream (softened)

Dark Rum (or Vanilla Vodka)
Hot water
Whipped cream or Cool Whip (optional)

Cream together softened butter, sugars an molasses. Add in Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Cloves, Vanilla and Salt. Beat until well mixed. Add softened ice cream (too cold and it hardens your butter!) Beat well and then store in fridge until set.

In an 8 oz glass:

Put one heaping ice cream scoop worth of mix into glass. Add 2 oz of rum. Boil your water and remove from heat to slightly cool. Pour very hot water into glass and fill. Stir until melted. Top with whipped cream or Cool Whip and a sprinkle of nutmeg. You could also garnish with cinnamon sticks!

yield approx 6-8 drinks



1 comment:

  1. that sounds delicious! I will have to try that.

    Let me know when you have time so we can get together. Joey keeps trying to open Gabe and Gianna's presents.

    ReplyDelete