Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Vanilla Mini Cupcakes...

I LOVE CUPCAKES and am constantly trying new recipes...I really like how these turned out, light, but not too crumbly, sweet but subtle and the tops have a nice, light crisp to them. I, also, really liked these in the mini size for the party. They tiny size totally justified having two...or three...

Vanilla Mini Cupcakes


Here is the yummy cupcake recipe I used...

Makes approx. 4 dozen mini (about 2 dozen regular)

1½ sticks butter (softened)
1¾ cups sugar
2 large eggs
2
1/2 tsps vanilla
½ tsp salt
2½ tsps baking powder
2½ cups flour
1¼ cups milk

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Line mini-muffin tins with paper liner

In a large bowl: cream together butter and sugar. Add in eggs, vanilla, salt and baking powder- beat well. Add in flour in three batches alternating with milk. Mix until very smooth.

Fill paper liners to the top, but not overflowing for the best size. Bake for 13-16 min until the edge of the tops are light golden brown and toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.

Cool on rack completely, at least 30 min to an hour. (If they are still warm, your frosting can melt!)


Delicious Cream Cheese Frosting:
This is my favorite frosting... more flavor than buttercream and subtler than most cream cheese...

1 stick butter
4 oz cream cheese (half package)
1 1/2 tsps vanilla
4-6cups powdered sugar
approx. 1/4 cup milk


Cream together softened but not warm butter and cream cheese. Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and one tablespoon of milk at a time until desired sweetness and consistency. Frosting should be very thick but smooth. For this particular cupcake, I prefer a sweeter flavor to a strong cream cheese, so I tend to add more sugar. It's easier to thin the frosting while keeping your desired flavor than to thicken it up without making it too sweet so I ALWAYS add milk in slowly and sparingly.

(For a more "crystally" finish to your frosting, you can add Bakers Sugar which is a VERY fine granulated sugar. There is a bit more of a texture, but it's not grainy like regular sugar. You will still need to use powdered sugar.)


Cupcake decorating for the cheap... I put my frosting (typically colored with food coloring) into a plastic baggie and trim off a corner. I start on the outer rim and swirl my way to the inside.

1 comment: