Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Monkey and Banana Cookies

A great and inexpensive party favor, I've done sugar cookie treat bags for the past two years on Gabe's birthday. This year, I had a little left over dough, so I thought I'd share how I did it.

Sugar Cookies

3/4 cup shortening
1 cup white sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (for easter cookies, I use 1 tsp lemon extract!)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups flour

Thoroughly mix shortening, sugar, eggs and flavoring. Blend in baking powder, salt and flour.

Cover and chill for at least one hour... or overnight.

Heat oven to 400 degrees.

roll dough 3/8" thick (1/4 " if using cookie cutters) I just started using powdered sugar in the place of flour to powder my work surface. It doesn't keep things as "sticky-free" but it does keep the dough from getting that pasty taste it can get after multiple rolls with flour.

I DO NOT have any fancy baking equipment. To make both cookies, I used a large glass (which doubled as my rolling pin), a medium glass and the top to a sprinkles container.
Cut your face shape out with medium sized glass. After cutting my medium circles and placing them on my ungreased cookie sheet, I used the perimeter of a circle as my guide for cutting the ears out. Using the round top to my sprinkles, I cut two 3/4 circles for each head.

F
it them onto the head. 10 and 2 works well, higher and you get mickey mouse...
This picture doesn't do much justice, but you then "score" the pieces together. To do that, using a toothpick or another fine, sharp impliment, scratch fine lines from one piece to the other. I will usually pat down the area and then score again.

To make the banana shape, I made a full circle with the large glass then cut into that with the medium to make a crescent moon shape. Consider making your "moon" slightly more narrow than your desired final result because you cookie will grow :)
When I transfer onto the cookie sheet, I bend the shape into a more obtuse angle and then cut the points off either end.
Icing for sugar cookies is all about consistancy. Too thin and it becomes transparent and then crunchy when dry, too thick and it gets dry and powdery looking and doesn't stick well (especially important when you are putting as many sprinkles on as these cookies have)

I like to use:
1/2 stick butter (1/4 cup) softened
3-4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
4-6 Tbs milk

mix together with beaters adding sugar gradually and one Tbs. of milk at a time. This seems anal, but consistency is so big to me, I alway will take the time. Your icing should be light and fluffy but have a slight satiny look to it.


To make the flesh color, I tint the white frosting with cocoa powder. It does give it a slight chocolate flavor, but it is very light. Frost the whole cookie with this color.

Using construction paper, draw a circle close to the size of the head and then draw the shape of the face. Also, cut two gum drop shaped pieces of equal size to fit in either ear. Cut these out and poke a hole in them with a tooth pick.
Fit these pieces onto the cookie being careful not to push the toothpicks too deep into the ears. If they happen to crack, use some of your icing to "glue" them back together. It really does work (trust me, it happened a few times!)


Sprinkle generously, lightly pressing into the exposed frosting. Remove the patterns and use a toothpick to cover the toothpick holes and move any loose sprinkles.

Use more sprinkles for the nose and two white chocolate chips for the eyes- upside down and pushed in.

I used more frosting, darkened to a rich brown with lots of cocoa powder and additional help from red, blue and green food coloring. It should end up being about the color of Hershey's chocolate. Put into a baggie with a tiny bit cut off the corner, I used this for the piping... dots on the eyes, the mouth and the outlining on the banana.
Allow to dry for 24 hours (preferably out of the eyesight of 3 year olds.) The less handling the better as the sprinkles can become loose.

No comments:

Post a Comment